(The Return of) Ignatz, by Sam Heldman

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

more values
So the Governor of Arkansas got himself a "covenant marriage.". If my wife told me that she wanted to enter into a new legal status by which the government forbade her from making the decision to leave me, I would be mighty offended. I can understand throwing away the last piece of pie, in order to keep one's future self from eating it -- the reason being that the piece of pie sure will be tempting. But is it really going to be so very tempting for her future self to leave me, so tempting that ordinary self-control and judgment won't stop it, so tempting that she would need a law against it? Bummer. But then again, for similar reasons I ordinarily go to some lengths to avoid saying or writing "my wife," so I recognize I'm not the average American on this issue.

posted by sam 10:16 AM 1 comments

1 Comments:

" But then again, for similar reasons I ordinarily go to some lengths to avoid saying or writing "my wife,"

Is this because the phrase suggests possession? If so, reminds me of something CS Lewis wrote about the easy progression from my boots to my friend to my God, or something like that. Course if that's not what you meant, then nevermind.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

 


email: first name@last name dot net